I'm not sure if I could be much more disappointed in the final outcome. I even contemplated not posting anything about it and pretending it never happened, but what good is that?
Here is what ended up happening (the condensed version):
Today/tonight our time Gabe was to enter a plea and a trial date was to be set. But apparently a deal had been made for a while that Gabe would instead plead Guilty to Manslaughter and take a lesser sentence basically for failing to do his duty as Tina's dive buddy. He plead not guilty to murder and the PROSECTOR (the lawyer who is SUPPOSED to fight for justice for Tina) only proposed a sentence of 5 YEARS W/ PAROLE ELIGIBILITY AFTER 18 MONTHS. Gabe's lawyer then says that that is TOO HARSH and that he has cooperated and surrendered himself and blah blah blah and that he should only get 4 years w/ parole eligibility after 16 months. And THE JUDGE finally ruled that he serve 4 YEARS AND 6 MONTHS TO BE SUSPENDED AFTER 12 MONTHS (basically he's eligible for parole after 12 months) and his time already served in jail (about 23 days) be deducted from the sentence.
Obviously we are all EXTREMELY disappointed in the outcome. I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure that one year in jail is not a fair sentence for killing someone. The PROSECTOR said after the sentencing that "Watson had breached his duty as a husband."
OH REALLY?!!? YA THINK?!
SO make a note to yourselves, if you ever want to kill someone, do it in Australia, because they're a bunch of pansies that really punish people.
In all seriousness though, the only thing that brings me any comfort after all of this is the realization that really, no prison sentence would ever be long enough for this guy and that he WILL EVENTUALLY get his true punishment after this life is over (and maybe a little preview of that in the all-male showers he will have to take with the other prisoners, surely some big aboriginal guy has a hankerin' for a puffy American bubble-wrap salesman... but i digress...)
Please say prayers for Tom, Cindy, and Alanda for strength and comfort. I know to them, it probably seems like they have fought such a long and hard battle to get Tina the justice she deserves only to be slapped in the face, but I know
God
has
a
plan.
Why we're going to Africa...
10 years ago
1 comment:
I completely agree with you. I saw the news story on Friday, and I was shocked. I remember you first telling me about your cousin in 2004, and I've been following it ever since.
You're right. Even before everything is over, there will be justice.
Love you.
Post a Comment